Man City win streak ended by Saints draw, while Rashford leads United to win over Hammers

featured, football, Premier League

Manchester City’s long winning run in the Premier League has ended at 12 matches after a 1-1 draw at Southampton.

City needed a 65th-minute header by Aymeric Laporte to earn a point at St Mary’s, after Southampton took the lead through Kyle Walker-Peters.

Pep Guardiola’s champions had won every game in the league since a 2-0 home loss to Crystal Palace on October 30.

The draw extended their lead over Liverpool at the top of the table to 12 points, but they’ve played two more games than the Reds, who visit Crystal Palace on Sunday.

Elsewhere, Marcus Rashford eased the gloom at City’s neighbours Manchester United, scoring a stoppage-time winner as they beat West Ham 1-0 at Old Trafford.

Ralf Rangnick’s men had looked set for more frustration in a poor quality encounter before Rashford latched onto a neat pass from fellow substitute Edinson Cavani to fire home with virtually the last kick of the game on Saturday.

Also in England’s top flight on Saturday, Duncan Ferguson’s second spell as Everton caretaker manager got off to a dismal start as Emi Buendia sealed a 1-0 win for Aston Villa at Goodison Park.

But worse could come for the hosts as they face a likely investigation into a bottle-throwing incident, which floored both Matty Cash and former Everton defender Lucas Digne, who’d only left the Toffees nine days earlier, in the celebrations after Buendia’s goal.

Everton later reported after that a fan had been arrested by the police who viewed footage of the incident. 

Buendia’s headed goal in first-half stoppage time made the first appearance of former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard at Goodison as a head coach a memorable one.

Jonjo Shelvey gave Newcastle’s top-flight survival hopes a major boost as his second-half free kick secured a 1-0 win at Leeds.

Shelvey curled the ball home from 20 yards in the 75th minute to snatch a scarcely deserved win over Marcelo Bielsa’s men, who went into the game on the back of two successive wins.

Ruben Neves grabbed a late winner for Wolves after their game against Brentford at the Community Stadium had been held up for 20 minutes by a drone.

With 31 minutes gone, the drone appeared above the stadium and referee Peter Bankes and fourth official Martin Atkinson ordered the players off the field in accordance with Premier League rules.

Joao Moutinho put the visitors in front three minutes into the delayed second half after a neat one-two with Nelson Semedo in the box.

Ivan Toney drilled a 71st-minute equaliser for the hosts after being set up by Bryan Mbeumo but Neves pounced seven minutes later to make it 2-1 and seal the visitors’ third consecutive top-flight win.


Leave a Reply