Manchester United have had a rather turbulent week following news of Tyrell Malacia’s arrival.
Cristiano Ronaldo has told the club that he wishes to leave just a year into his two-year-deal. He is trying to force an exit after seeing his salary reduced, United’s slow transfer activity and their inability to challenge for silverware.
It also seems that their pursuit of Frenkie de Jong has hit the buffers. Barcelona have declared that he is now no longer for sale despite agreeing a deal in principle.
And now recent reports state there are problems with the Spanish giants owing the player money after agreeing to defer his wages amid the pandemic.
However, United have reportedly revived their interest in Leicester midfielder Youri Tielemans, while a deal still looks to be on for Christian Eriksen. Nevertheless, Ronaldo is still the name on everyone’s lips
Ajax are expecting new offers for centre-back Lisandro Martinez, according to a report.
The Daily Mail suggest the Dutch club want £43million for the Argentine with United and Arsenal both keen to try and agree a deal this week.
Erik ten Hag has come to terms with the fact that Cristiano Ronaldo will leave this summer, according to a report.
The Sun claims United chiefs have now recognised they cannot keep him against his will and want to avoid a long, drawn-out battle.
United are looking for a new midfielder this summer, but it might not be Youri Tielemans.
The Sun report Arsenal are leading the race to sign the Leicester man for £30m and are confident of beating United to his signature.
United will need to improve their offer if they want to sign Antony this summer, according to a report.
GOAL suggests United United have offered €60 million (£51m) to Ajax for their star winger, but the Dutch side are holding out for a fee of €80m (£68m).
Bayern Munich have distanced themselves from the prospect of signing Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo, insisting he doesn’t suit their philosophy.
Ronaldo, who sealed a fairytale return to Old Trafford from Juventus almost a year ago, wants to leave United this summer in pursuit of Champions League football.
The Manchester Evening News also understands that the Portuguese star wants to leave because of the club’s slow start to the summer transfer window and is “upset” that the squad has been forced to accept a 25 per cent reduction in their salaries.
The Telegraph is reporting that Manchester United’s pursuit of Frenkie de Jong has been further hampered due to Barcelona owing the player money.
It says a deferment on wages was agreed amid the Covid-19 pandemic that amount to £17m.
This comes after Barcelona announced that De Jong was now not for sale despite agreeing a deal in principle.
Reports suggest Manchester United are set to revive their interest in Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans.
Speculation over the Belgium international’s future at the King Power Stadium continues to mount.
He only has 12 months left to run on his contract there and Arsenal have been heavily linked with signing him.
Welcome to today’s Manchester United transfer blog.
Follow our coverage as we update you with the latest breaking news and rumours throughout the day.
The latest denial from Barcelona that they are set to sell Frenkie de Jong could cause a fresh panic at Manchester United as their transfer business continues to stall.
The Red Devils finally made their first signing of the summer window on Tuesday, with the arrival of Tyrell Malacia from Feyenoord. But De Jong remains Erik ten Hag’s top target as he looks to overhaul his new squad following their dire season last term.
Their attempts to land the midfielder have so far failed though, with negotiations ongoing around the move. De Jong himself is not thought to be keen to leave the Nou Camp for United, with Barcelona also demanding the Red Devils up their offer.
And the La Liga giants’ club president has now made a further intervention to pore cold water on United’s hopes of finally bringing in Ten Hag’s top target. Joan Laporta pushed back against claims that he was trying to force De Jong out of the exit door in Catalonia.
“Frenkie de Jong is Barcelona player – we don’t want to sell him unless we have no other choice. Of course, we know there are offers for de Jong — but we don’t want to sell him,” Laporta said.
Laporta’s strong denial that he is trying to sell De Jong will be a bitter blow to Ten Hag. The Dutchman may have hoped that the arrival of Malacia would have led to United’s transfer business ramping up.
Clearly, that is not the case, with the Red Devils set to fly out for their pre-season tour of Asia and Australia at the end of the week. And the dragging out of the move for De Jong only goes to show that a worry that Gary Neville had highlighted last month is still prevalent at Old Trafford.
Neville had insisted that the dragging out of United’s business could only harm Ten Hag as he bids to turn his new club around. With just a month before the Premier League season gets underway, Neville’s concerns show little sign of being addressed.
“I know early in the window but it’s worrying that United are struggling to get business done. The others seem set and ready yet United can’t get moving. ETH [Erik ten Hag] needs his group together asap to mould them. Bringing them in late will only make it harder for him!” he tweeted last month.
Manchester United are ‘considering’ a bid for AS Monaco striker Wissam Ben Yedder, as the club steps up its pursuit of new attacking options.
That is according to a report by Media Foot Marseille, as cited by Sports Mole, who claim that United, along with Premier League counterparts Wolves, are ‘interested’ in the 31-year-old. The Reds could soon be forced to prioritise the addition of a new striker if Cristiano Ronaldo leaves the club.
Should Ronaldo depart, it would leave a gaping hole in United’s squad that would need filling. They have already missed out on signing Darwin Nunez and Erling Haaland this summer, meaning elite-level strikers are available at a premium.
Although Ben Yedder is not considered in the same category as the aforementioned duo, he knows his way to goal. The Frenchman enjoyed a stellar campaign with Monaco last term, scoring 32 goals in all competitions, as well as chipping in with seven assists.
The former Toulouse striker joined Monaco from Sevilla in 2019 and has since scored 73 goals in just 124 appearances. He has scored 55 times in the last two seasons combined.
Meanwhile, United are keen on signing highly-rated Brazilian sensation Gabriel Veron. That is according to a report by The Sun, which claims that United could secure his signature for just £10million in this summer’s window.
The winger, who is currently on the books of Brazilian outfit Palmeiras, has been linked with a move to Old Trafford in the past. United, however, are not the only club sniffing around his signature, the report claims.
Cross-city rivals Manchester City and Spanish heavyweights Barcelona have also been credited with interest. Despite only being 19 years old, he has already racked up 93 appearances for Palmeiras, scoring 13 goals and grabbing 13 assists.
That return to the English top-flight was not one that was received poorly by Spurs fans, who were instead simply overjoyed at seeing their former favourite plying his trade once again. That is not quite the case this time around, though, as Eriksen nears a surprise move to Old Trafford this summer.
This is at least partly due to the fact that the 30-year-old once made a promise to the Spurs hierarchy that he would never play for another English side before he fled to Milan. Obviously, that vow was actually broken the moment he donned a Brentford shirt, but no one begrudged the player for making a slow return to football following his cardiac arrest.
The sheer sight of Eriksen playing in the Premier League half a year after collapsing on the pitch was more than enough to ensure any club tribalism was put to one side. The same cannot be said for this latest switch, which has been met with fury and even a video of a Spurs shirt with the Dane’s name on the back being burnt.
Coincidentally, it was United who Eriksen snubbed back in 2019 due to the fact he had vowed to never play for another English club – or rather, a rival to Tottenham – as part of a promise to Spurs chairman Daniel Levy. The Red Devils were at the time managed by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who was willing to pay quite the fee for Eriksen’s signature.
At that stage of his career, the former Ajax prodigy was desperate for a move abroad and therefore Inter Milan were always in the driving seat when it came to the race for Eriksen’s signature. Things have changed drastically and he is now ready to become a Red Devil.
He had the chance to remain at Brentford, with Thomas Frank open in his desire to sign Eriksen on a permanent basis. However, after weeks of waiting for a decision, it looks as if the former Spurs man could not resist the bright lights of Old Trafford – a decision that will not sit well with Levy.
At the age of 37, Cristiano Ronaldo was backed to alter his aims at Manchester United next season, from focusing on finding the net to helping to raise the next generation.
His contributions to the team last season cannot be doubted but time waits for no man, including the Portugal captain. His 24-goal haul as a veteran defies logic at whatever level a striker plays at, let alone on the Premier League stage.
But his homecoming has clearly been far from straightforward. Some sections of supporters, while hailing his goal-getting abilities, have argued that his presence has hampered the progression of young players within the squad.
However, in June, he promised to advise and encourage them when asked. He also said: “You have to give them (youngsters) time, give them the opportunity, and let them grow in a normal way without pressure, but I think we should give opportunities to the young generation.”
And now he could directly help these emerging talents in a way that is unexpected. Ronaldo’s wish to leave United may provide these youngsters with the very opportunity he preached about.
There’s no doubting that his departure would be a big loss, but it may open a route to the first team for the likes of Alejandro Garnacho. The teenager has been tipped to have a great career after being named as the Under-18s’ Player of the Season.
The youngster was handed his first two senior outings last term and also netted twice in the FA Youth Cup final win in May. Ronaldo would surely be replaced by another incoming striker but whoever that may be, he won’t be ‘undroppable’ like CR7.
These are players who grew up watching him on TV and, naturally, his aura will have impacted them both. They may feel more relaxed away from his glare, away from the ‘we must not upset Ronaldo’ enigma.
This also applies to the likes of Hannibal Mejbri and Anthony Elanga, who would have certainly learned a lot from the striker, but now have their own careers to define.