Manchester United returned to training yesterday as they prepare to face Nottingham Forest in the first-leg of their Carabao Cup semi-final on Wednesday.
Erik Ten Hag has made clear his intention to and a near six-year trophy drought at Old Trafford, with this competition his nearest and most realistic opportunity to do so this season. The first leg will see United head to the City Ground before the return at Old Trafford caps off a week in which the Reds play three cup games.
With only two full days rest between games, the Dutchman could well make a few changes at Forest but will ensure an experienced core remains. Club captain Harry Maguire started both of the previous Carabao Cup games and is in line to do so again – as is Casemiro, who missed the Arsenal defeat via suspension.
Meanwhile, there is now just one week left in the January transfer window, meaning time is running out for clubs across Europe to strengthen their respective squads. United have added two new faces this month in the form of Jack Butland and Wout Weghorst, but remain active in the market at they plan for a busy summer.
United’s summer window plans are also reportedly shaping up, with Harry Kane and Victor Osimhen said to be under consideration by the Old Trafford outfit. Kane equalled Jimmy Greaves’ all-time record of 266 goals for Tottenham with the winner in Monday night’s 1-0 Premier League triumph at Fulham but reports have linked him with a summer move.
According to Area Napoli, United have been offered the chance to sign AS Roma player Zaniolo.
Zaniolo has featured on 17 occasions so far this season and has been a key player, however he has reportdely made his feelings clear that he wishes to leave the Serie A club.
The report claims that the attacking midfielder would cost United £35m.
New signing Wout Weghorst has claimed that he will need to prove himself at Old Trafford before talking about a permanent move.
United should put aside £100m to sign Harry Kane and boost their Premier League ambitions.
That’s the message from Sky Sports pundit, Paul Merson, who reckons Erik ten Hag needs to sign the England captain to compete with City and his former side, Arsenal, for the title next season.
Speculation over Anthony Elanga remains at the fore with the deadline in sight.
Here are the frontrunners for his (permanent) signature according to SkyBet odds;
Borussia Dortmund – 4/7
To stay at Manchester United – 2/1
Everton – 7/1
Brighton – 20/1
Crystal Palace – 20/1
*Betting odds were correct at 19:30 on January 24. Subject to change.
Reports from RMC Sport indicate that United want to “hijack” a move for Chelsea target Malo Gusto and add him to their squad before the January 31 deadline.
Gusto is understood to have agreed personal terms with Chelsea, but United are reported to have told him to think about his decision amid late interest from Old Trafford. Gusto is said to prefer a switch to Chelsea – at this stage – having impressed in 15 appearances for Lyon this season.
United find themselves in cup competitions over the next 10 days or so.
Here are the next six Premier League matches they have to contend with;
Saturday, February 4 vs Palace (H) at 3pm
Wednesday, February 8 vs Leeds (H) at 8pm
Sunday, February 12 vs Leeds (A) at 2pm
Sunday, February 19 vs Leicester (H) at 2pm
Sunday, February 26 vs Brentford (H) at 1.30pm
Saturday, March 4 vs Liverpool (A) at 3pm
Erik ten Hag spoke to the media this afternoon ahead of United’s League Cup semi-final first leg clash with Nottingham Forest tomorrow.
He discussed the defeat to Arsenal, the latest team news, and the club’s hunt for a trophy.
Manchester United are expected to welcome Casemiro back into the fold for tomorrow’s League Cup semi-final first leg against Nottingham Forest.
He was suspended from Sunday’s clash with Arsenal after picking up five yellow cards in his team’s first 19 league matches.
Erik ten Hag is due to name a strong line-up as the Reds try and make their first final since the 2021 Europa League final defeat to Villarreal.
Three United players will miss the trip to the City Ground for Wednesday’s League Cup quarter-final tie.
Diogo Dalot is still nursing a muscular problem and will sit out a fourth successive game.
Two others have also been ruled out of the contest.
A report from the Athletic says sources close to the Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) have claimed the group was advised that there is a possiblity that the Glazers do not want a full sale of Manchester United, but are instead merely getting a feel for interest in the market.
It adds that the QSI has not met with the Glazers about a potential minority stake, although internal and third-party discussions have been conducted.
A whole-scale bid from QSI is said to be very unlikely given it would mean it would have to sell Paris Saint-Germain.
Amad has been sent a message of encouragement for the future amid his good form away from United at loan club Sunderland.
The striker has netted seven goals in his last 13 Championship matches, the latest coming in a 2-0 win over Middlesbrough on Sunday.
The Ivorian is set to return to United at the end of the season, with the club seeing a future for him at Old Trafford after his 2021 switch from Atalanta.
Charlie Savage is on the brink of securing a loan move to League One club Forest Green Rovers.
United were anticipating a short-term exit for the midfielder, who has not played for the senior side since his debut in December 2021.
He will join Rovers for the rest of the season when the deal is officially struck ahead of deadline day.
United are keeping tabs on Harry Kane with the attacker admitting there has “not been much talk” about a new Tottenham deal with just 18 months left on his current contract.
The striker equalled club legend Jimmy Greaves’ 266-goal club record against Fulham last night but is yet to win a trophy at Spurs.
Speaking after the game, he addressed the talk around his future.
Fabrizio Romano has provided the latest on United’s ‘conversations’ with Marco Reus.
The Reds had been linked with a move for the 33-year-old, who will likely become a free agent in the summer once his contract with Borussia Dortmund expires.
And Romano, speaking to The United Stand, has detailed conversations bwteeen club and player but hinted a move for the German is unlikely:
Harry Kane has been guaranteed a Premier League title if he moves to Manchester United in the summer.
The 29-year-old’s future remains uncertain, with his contract at Spurs set to run out in 18 months. United are monitoring the striker’s situation and could make a move come the end of the season.
And speaking to Betfair,former Reds forward Saha believes the move would provide the Premier League title that both so desire:
Manchester United will see straight through the flurry of reports concerning Harry Kane on Monday. The suggestion he is willing to renew at Tottenham Hotspur feels as remote as Antonio Conte being their coach this time next year.
Kane’s brother, Charlie, was exposed so publicly and humiliatingly over the brothers’ failed attempt to engineer a transfer to Manchester City 18 months ago he daren’t risk antagonising the Spurs fanbase again. ‘Charlie Kane’ trended on Twitter more than his sibling during the summer of 2021.
‘CK66’ has been rebranded as the more singular The Harry Kane Company. To counter last week’s reports of United’s interest, some suspect the Kanes have embarked on a charm offensive with Spurs supporters. It helps Harry is on the cusp of breaking the feted Jimmy Greaves’s club goalscoring record that has stood for almost 53 years.
Only when Kane does leave Spurs – this summer or next – fans will bemoan the false hope they were fed. Kane is an undeniably ambitious player and his six-year renewal in 2018 was an early harbinger his brother was not cut out for dealing with Daniel Levy.
United will still be without three senior players for their League Cup semi-final first leg with Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.
Diogo Dalot has missed the last three matches with a muscular injury, Anthony Martial was absent for the draw with Crystal Palace and defeat to Arsenal last week, while Jadon Sancho has not played since the draw with Chelsea on October 22.
Sancho resumed squad training last week and United host Championship side Reading in the FA Cup fourth round on Saturday but the winger will not be involved at Forest.
Lovely to see these two meet up again on Sunday, with Michael Carrick’s Middlesbrough losing out to Amad Diallo’s Sunderland.
The Reds loanee secured all three points for the Black Cats with a lovely goal on 81 minutes to make it 2-0.
The Ivorian worked briefly under Carrick during the midfielder’s time as caretaker boss at Old Trafford, and now in charge at Boro’ the former England international was full of praise for his former player.
For those of you with us here, now is the time to head over to our LIVE coverage of Erik Ten Hag’s pre-Forest press conference.
The Dutchman is due to speak at 12.30, so you can head over there now by clicking HERE, before returning to us for the reaction and key takeaways.
Manchester United are prepared to let Harry Maguire and Scott McTominay go in the summer, according to reports.
The pair have been pushed to the fringes of Erik Ten Hag’s plans, thanks in part to the summer arrivals of Lisandro Martinez and Casemiro, and both have been the subject of interest this month.
West Ham were said to have put forward an offer to take Maguire on loan, while Newcastle are known admirers of McTominay.
ButTalkSPORT states that with United fighting on all four fronts, Ten Hag remains insistent on keeping a deep squad and does not want to offload anyone between now and January 31.
But with a summer of spending on the horizon, the Reds will need to trim the fat in order to keep competition in the squad healthy and keep in line with Financial Fair Play regulations.
Do you think Maguire and McTominay should leave in the summer? Sign up and let us know in the comments below!
Manchester United were widely credited with playing their part in a high-quality, thrilling game at the Emirates, but for Erik ten Hag, pats on the back simply aren’t enough.
What the Dutchman said in the aftermath of the 3-2 defeat was, in fact, a neat encapsulation of what attracted United to him in the first place and why that has proved to be such a wise decision. Maybe the wisest of the lot in the decade since Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement.
The title talk that crept in a week ago might have proved fanciful and the manner of last-minute concessions to Crystal Palace and Arsenal have shown how much room there still is for improvement, but this side have already taken giant steps forward under Ten Hag.
That was no consolation come 6.30pm on Sunday. While United were praised for their role in the game and appeared to be beaten by a team playing at the very highest level, Ten Hag had a different view.
Former Roma sporting director Gianluca Petrachi has been speaking about his signing of Chris Smalling.
Smalling left United in 2019, making the move to Serie A – initially on loan before a permanent deal in 2020 – as his minutes at Old Trafford dwindled.
Since joining the Italian outfit, the former England international has returned back to his best, and Peteachi hopes that can continue past the end of his current deal which runs out in 2023.
Manchester United spoke with Antoinne Griezmann and his representative last summer to weigh up a potential move for the forward, according toSky Sports.
Griezmann was on loan at Atletico Madrid at the time but reports of a bizarre stipulation in the deal – the Spanish side would have to pay Barcelona €40million if he played at least half the team’s minutes – meant Diego Simeone kept introducing him off the bench.
The report states that upon arriving in Madrid, John Murtough and Tom Keane made contact with the Frenchman to gauge his thoughts on a move to Old Trafford. However the player’s desire was to make his Atleti move permanent, which he did in October.
There was a sense of desperation when Manchester United went about their transfer business during the summer window three years ago.
To sign one player on deadline day is a warning that things haven’t gone according to plan; to sign four is a cry for help. Having spent the entire summer trying—and failing—to secure a move for Jadon Sancho, United accelerated plans to sign two other wingers instead.
Amad arrived from Atalanta in a deal worth £37million despite having only played 76 minutes of first team football at that stage, while Facundo Pellistri arrived for £9m from Penarol, where he had been playing regularly but not at the intensity of the European game.
Tuanzebe has been sidelined with a back injury since July but, after undergoing a personal training plan last month, he returned to training with his teammates on Sunday.
United have announced that all seating in the Stretford End will return to general admission from the start of the 2024/25 season.
Rick McGagh, head of fan engagement at Manchester United, said: “The Stretford End is one of the most famous stands in world football. It has been the backdrop to many of the most memorable moments in our history, and, when it’s at its loudest, you can feel the difference it makes to the players, and the connection the fans have with the team.
“Fans and fan groups including MUST and TRA have long campaigned for us to remove the executive seats from the heart of the Stretford End and to make them standard tickets and, therefore, more accessible to all fans.
“We have listened and agree that as many fans as possible should have the chance to be a Stretford Ender. We have worked with our Fans’ Advisory Board in recent months to make this happen and we are all looking forward to an even louder Stretford End from August 2024.”
“Let’s stay positive,” Marcus Rashford’s Twitter account wrote at 7.34pm. Erik ten Hag had struck a different tone only minutes before.
Ten Hag questioned United players’ discipline and mentality. He lamented their mistakes and opined Arsenal wanted it more. He denied the players any excuses. Three times he mentioned “top level”:
“You can’t give such a goal away like we did on top level. Then you can’t win trophies.”
“We also have to notice today we have a way to go to be on top level.”
“Excuses are not possible at the top level.”
United have decided to look at alternatives to Victor Osimhen after learning of Napoli’s £100million demands, it has been reported.
Erik Ten Hag’s side have been linked with summer moves for a number of big-name forwards, with theUnited boss planning to revamp his frontline at the end of the season.
One of which is Osimhen, the Nigerian forward whose 13 goals in 15 appearances has helped Napoli to a commanding 12-point lead at the top of Serie A. United were set to compete withNewcastle United andArsenal for the striker’s signature after seemingly making him the priority target.
According to Sky Germany’sFlorian Plettenberg, the 24-year-old is still on United’s radar, but they have removed him from the top spot on the shortlist after learning that they would need to pay at least €100million for him.
Manchester United were back at Carrington on Monday as they prepare for Wednesday’s Carabao Cup semi-final first leg at Nottingham Forest.
The Reds will be desperate to bounce back quickly from Sunday’s 3-2 defeat at Arsenal, a result that left level on points with Newcastle United and six above Tottenham Hotspur in fifth. Erik Ten Hag’s side looked set to leave the Emirates with a point before Eddie Nketiah’s gut-wrenching 90th-minute winner.
But with this season’s fixture list as congested as ever, and with United still competing in every competition possible to them, there is no time to dwell on defeats, and Ten Hag had many of his players back at Carrington earlier today before they head to the City Ground.