PAK vs NZ: The Blackcaps have abandoned their limited-overs tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) informed on Friday. The side was to play Pakistan on Friday in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five-match T20 series. New Zealand was slated to play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003.
According to an NZC release: “The side was to play Pakistan this evening in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five match T20 series. However, following an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan, and advice from NZC security advisors on the ground, it has been decided the BLACKCAPS will not continue with the tour. Arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.”
PAK vs NZ: NZC chief executive David White said it was simply not possible to continue with the tour given the advice he was receiving. NZC said arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure. New Zealand Cricket Players Association chief executive Heath Mills echoed White’s sentiments.
NZC added it will not comment on the details of the security threat nor the updated arrangements for the departing squad.
NZ has canceled their tour to Pakistan hours before the start of the first match…citing security concerns. This might have serious consequences on the future tours to Pakistan. England-Australia and NZ (again) slated to travel to Pak in the next 12 months. #PakvNZ
— Aakash Chopra (@cricketaakash) September 17, 2021
Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series.
PAK vs NZ: Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same. The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team.
The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan Government throughout their stay here.
PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last-minute withdrawal.
PAK vs NZ: New Zealand tour of Pakistan ODI Full Schedule
1st ODI – September 17
2nd ODI – September 19
3rd ODI – September 21
For more sports news and PAK vs NZ updates, follow us at insidesport.co
(with inputs from ANI)