Tennis Australia has rejected claims that Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the upcoming ATP Cup in Sydney, saying they have not been informed of any withdrawals by Serbian team members.
Serbian newspaper Blic reported last week that Djokovic would pull out of the ATP Cup, with the tournament scheduled to be held from January 1-9 in Sydney.
The publication quoted a source close to Djokovic’s team, who said “It is 99 per cent sure that Novak won’t go to the ATP Cup”.
According to The Age, Tennis Australia couldn’t reveal when Djokovic would land in Sydney but insisted that no member from Team Serbia had pulled out of the tournament.
Suggestions of Djokovic loophole are ‘absolute rubbish’ says Woodbridge
“No withdrawals from Team Serbia,” a TA spokesperson said.
Currently, Djokovic is scheduled to face world No.8 Casper Ruud on January 1.
The 34-year-old’s clouded availability for the ATP Cup only makes his Australian Open participation more complex.
The Australian Open isn’t scheduled to start until January 17, but a Victorian state-enforced COVD-19 vaccine mandate has put pressure on the 20-time Grand Slam winner’s availability, who to date has refused to reveal his vaccination status.
The world No.1 has stated on multiple occasions that his vaccination status is a “personal” matter.
Speaking to Serbian TV, Srdjan Djokovic gave the impression his son wasn’t vaccinated, and will instead rely on an exemption to travel to Australia.
“They have to decide whether they will let Novak in,” he said.
“If they decide (not to let him in), they have to stand behind their decision.
“He has won the Australian Open nine times, he now wants to play – but they have to permit him to play.
“Novak will do what he thinks is the best for him, nobody will impose an opinion on him.”
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!